Tuesday 10 July 2007

I know I need to do something but I'm really putting it off.

We have an elderly neighbour who has been like a Grandma to us since I was born. She has always been fiercely independent, although has always accepted and welcomed our love and care. In fact she has been more like family to us than most of our extended family.

But she has taken a real downturn in the last 12-18 months, not suprising really since she turned 96 last month, but nevertheless its really hard to see someone who has been so strong and independent turning into someone who really needs a lot of care but doesn't want to accept it. She is really frail now, and quite confused most of the time, but refuses the help she needs to keep her well and safe.

I'm off to see her now, meeting my sister so we can pop in together. There is no real purpose behind this post except for my sadness at how unhappy she is and how she is struggling. Its really hard to love someone so much that you would rather they slipped away peacefully in their chair than struggled on like this.

1 comment:

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

It's awful watching people get older, not least because it reminds you of your own mortality. But it's lovely that she has you watching out for her. You're doing all you can so go you!