Saturday 7 July 2007

07/07/07

I woke up this morning to a radio report about how lucky today is supposed to be, another indication of our society's obsession with numbers, and just had a nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right.

As I looked out over the burnt and broken wreckage of what was the garage I suddenly remembered...

Sitting at my desk in Leeds, fielding phone calls from distressed family members who knew or thought their loved ones were in London

Phoning my OH to ask him to drive from Birmingham to get me from Leeds, partly because we were told no trains were running and partly because I just wanted him close

Desperately trying to get hold of people I know and love to check they were ok

Driving through beautiful countryside on a gorgeous summers day, happy with my partner beside me (who had just got a job he really wanted) but also devastated for the terror that was being unleashed on our country

But nothing really bad touched us, everyone we cared about was ok, and a week later the near misses were just that for us. Near, but far enough away to not mean anything.

Others weren't so lucky, and today, two years on, we remember them.

1 comment:

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Sometimes it's good to count your blessings, no?