Wednesday 25 July 2007

Am I grumpy?

I finish my current job in a weeks time and tonight is my "leaving do". I really like most of the people I work with, and I really hope that a number of them remain friends when I move on, but...

...I really hate this sort of thing, it is exactly why I try and avoid letting colleagues know when my birthday is as well. Its hard to put my finger on exactly why it makes me feel so uncomfortable, I'm not sure if it is as simple as not liking being the centre of attention or whether it is just the slight cringe worthyness of the boss telling you how much you'll be missed etc whilst inside you know that in a couple of weeks any gap you've left will have spontaneously closed up.

In essence I don't want to go tonight, and I fear that I am being too grumpy about it. I just need to grit my teeth and smile sweetly, whilst being gracious and charming...quite a challenge I think!

On another point (and yes I know I am getting ranty here) I would happily jump on the tube to go to a decent pub, you know, nice ambience, reasonable drink selection (John Smiths and Foster do NOT count) and interesting bar snacks. However other people don't seem to feel the same way, am I odd?

Right moaning over, for a couple of hours at least.

4 comments:

SandDancer said...

How wsa the leaving do? I hate this sort of thing too, but always find that once I've made the effort to go I'm there until the end, even if I'm having a terrible time. And it usually does involve going into places that I wouldn't dream of going normally.

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Ha ha, I love a good moan! And I hate leaving/birthday dos too. In my last job we'd all have to put money in the envelope for the pressie kitty and then stand around a table at 5pm. It would all be done so begrudgingly. If it was me doing the collection I'd have to send about 5 emails prompting people and then we'd only get a few measly quid. And it was excrutiating standing at the table if it was your birthday because you knew everyone was itching to get back to their desks!! Grrr!

Chocolate & cherries said...

It was as toecurling as you would expect. However some of the comments in the card were lovely and I really am going to miss some of the people I've been working with, but I'm sure I'll keep in touch with them.

I just hate the public nature of it all. I'm glad I'm not the only one though!

Carlito86 said...

Not grumpy AT ALL!! I hate it all as well. Ahh my lea\ving do at my last place was awful - I dreaded it as i hate that kind of thing too and then only 4 people even turned up. Loser, me thinks. It makes me feel uncomfortable now thinking that the 4 will have gone back to work and laughed at how little turnout I had