Sunday 2 September 2007

Burston Strike School Rally






One of the joys of not being a civil srevant anymore is that I am allowed to be "political" again. My sis and I went to the Burston Strike School Rally today, much more like a village fete than a political rally, that is until bloody Bob Crowe spoke! Grrrrr the man did my head in, he got facts and figures wrong and totally missed the point on just about everything, I actually feel sorry for the RMT if he is the figurehead. What infuriated me so much was his attitude that tommorows tube strike disruption was "sticking it to the man". Which bit doesn't he get about the tube disruption actually affecting millions of hard working Londoners? Not the "fat cats", they can afford a taxi home, but ordinary working people who just want to get home on a Monday evening. Can't they see this does more damage to their cause than anything?

On the other hand Billy Bragg and Tony Benn spoke eloquently, in their different ways, about how it is everyone's responsibility to make this society fair and just. Exactly what the strike school was all about.

2 comments:

SandDancer said...

Whilst I can understand why civil servants can't have any political affliations, it is weird asking people not be political, as its akin to asking them to just not think.

I've no sympathy for the tube strikers either or the postal workers for that matter. Its these sorts of strikes that give unions a bad name.

I love Billy Bragg and Tony Benn - they speak a lot of sense.

Chocolate & cherries said...

Never made much sense to me either, hence why I don't think I could make a "career" out of being a civil servant. I'm very much edging towards wanting to be a political adviser, but I guess I need to find a party that I can really believe in first!